This has to be one of most beautiful things you can do in cake decorating baking and is probably much easier than you think. Most or all of these ingredients can be found at your local market, or at a cake/baking supply store.
Gum paste flowers make a wonderful accessory to fondant cakes because of how sturdy they are, their yummy taste, and of course their beauty. Here’s a list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions you’re going to need to start making your own alluring flowers.
Ingredients to Make Gumpaste Flowers
- 6 cups + 11/2 cups of Confectioner’s sugar
- 2 extra large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon of shortening
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of Gum Tragancanth
- 2 teaspoons of unflavored powdered gelatin
- 6 tablespoons of water
- Small amount of non-toxic colored chalk (optional)
- Use shortening on your hands while handling gum paste to keep it from sticking to you
- Use only food paste coloring.
- Many of the colors will darken over time. In order to overcome this use a shade slightly lighter in color than your desired effect.
- Gum paste dries quickly. Only take out what you need and keep the rest refrigerated.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil that will fit the mixing bowl you will be using
Step 1- In a bowl mix together 6 cups of the Confectioner’s sugar and 2 tablespoons of the Gum Tragancanth
Step 2- Place mixing bowl on top of the pot of boiling water and cover with a cloth
Step 3- On the top of a double boiler add cold water and gelatin and let it sit for 5 minutes allowing the gelatin to soften.
Step 4- Bring water to a simmer in the bottom of the double boiler. Place the gelatin mixture on top and add the shortening and glucose to it. Sir until everything is mixed together
Step 5- Add egg whites and gelatin mixture to the sugar mix. Beat on a low until everything is mixed together completely then continue mixing until the mixture looks stringy (approximately 5 to 10 minutes)
Step 6 – Place gum paste into a plastic bag, make it air tight and refrigerate for 24 hours so it can mature
Step 7 – When you’re ready to use the gum paste remove it from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature by letting it sit or by kneading it until it becomes pliable.
Step 8 – Roll gum paste out onto a greased or floured surface and flour your rolling pin as well.
Step 9 – To add color use a toothpick and slowly add color while kneading it into the gum paste and allow it to sit for 15 minutes in order for it to return to original texture.
Step 10 – Using a heart shaped cutter cut out 5 large hearts and 5 medium hearts. Place them on a piece of foam and make a ruffled look by using a ball tool and pressing it into the hearts.
Step 11 – Overlap all 5 large heart pieces together with a gum paste adhesive and let them sit in a ball pan that’s been coated with corn starch overnight. Do the same with the 5 medium heart pieces and let them sit in a coated small muffin pan overnight to dry.
Step 12 – (optional) Grate the purple chalk in a tea strainer and coat dry flowers.
Step 13 – Place medium flowers inside large flowers and design a pollen area for the flower with icing. Let dry and you are ready to go.