Autumn is here and that means we are leaping into prime baking season too! Yippee! Nothing nicer than trying out a new recipe – Apple-Cinnamon upside-down cake.
Not much can top the fragrant aroma of fall baking filling your home, the way apples and cinnamon do. Here is a great recipe to kick start the changing of seasons and fill the air and your tummy with yummy goodness!
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
3 apples, Empire or Gala (about 1 1/2 pounds), each peeled, cored, and sliced into 8 wedges
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle bottom with brown sugar. In a medium bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Arrange in prepared pan in two concentric circles (you might not use them all).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Use an electric mixer. And beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter with granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Then beat until incorporated. Use the mixer on low speed. Alternating the mixtures, add the flour mixture in three parts and the milk in two. Beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter over apples in pan; smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack, at least 30 minutes and up to 6 hours. (If cake has risen above rim of pan, simply push back inside rim).
- To serve, run a knife around edge of pan, and invert cake onto a rimmed platter.
Recipe/Photo Credit: Martha Stewart
Are you are looking for help with your baking and cake decorating?
Have a look at our new Bake N Craft Circle. In our membership, we offer live baking and cake decorating sessions complete with opportunities to quiz the tutors with all your questions too.
Add to that warehouse discounts with support and guidance too, The Bake N Craft Circle will give you the help you are looking for on your baking and decorating journey.
Have you discovered our FREE Cake Pricing Guide yet
Learn the 10 ways a cake could be priced. I hope you are not using #10!
To read more of our blogs
To visit our product page