*Fun Friday* ~ Towering Sand Castle Cake
Are you ready to hit the sand and sea? This refreshing cake is the perfect alternative. Summer is here and it’s time for pool parties. This crumb covered cake is sure to be a hit at any beach themed or pool party. Fun and delicious, from Family Fun, this cake is sure to be a blast to decorate while feeling as though you’re relaxing on the beach, surrounded by the ocean, sea shells and sand castles. Spread some candy seashells and rocks around the cake base for an added effect.
- 8-inch round yellow cake
- 9-inch square yellow cake
- 2 (12-ounce) cans whipped vanilla frosting
- Vanilla wafers, 12-ounce box
- 4 jumbo ice-cream cups
- 2 small ice-cream cups
- 6 sugar cones
- Graham cracker sticks (we used Nabisco Honey Maid Grahams Honey Sticks)
- Candy seashells and rocks (optional)
- Use a long serrated knife to trim the top of the round cake flat, if needed. Cut a 5 1/2-inch and a 3 1/
- 2-inch circle from the square cake, then stack all three pieces, spreading vanilla frosting between the layers. Frost the stack.
- Use a rolling pin or food processor to crumble the wafers. With your hands, press the crumbs into the frosting, completely coating the cake. Spread frosting on the bottom of each ice-cream cup, then set them around the cake. With a serrated knife, carefully trim 1 1/2 inches from the top of 2 of the sugar cones. Set all 6 cones into the cups to complete the turrets, spreading a bit of frosting around the rims to hold them if needed.
- Press 2 graham cracker-stick doors into the middle cake layer and rim the rest of the cake with graham cracker-stick halves. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs around the base and add a scattering of candy seashells and rocks. Serves 12.